Bloom Where You Are Planted

This blog was created March 11, 2015. The contents of this blog contain correspondence between Chuckwa Don Crabtree and Gina Gillispie.

Although the two have never met, they became friends via mail when Gina, editor of an online news site, first reported Chuckwa's story.

When Gina saw his arrest photo, there was something that tugged at her to believe this person had a story to tell.

She mailed her first letter September 7, 2012 and they have been writing ever since.

After several years, Chuckwa decided he wanted to begin to tell his life story and send a message of hope to those who still have choices to make...his goal is to spend his time doing good things and good work right where he is....

Chuckwa has decided...to bloom where he is planted.

The posts that you will read will be a mix of old letters, stories about his everyday life in the James V. Allred Unit in Iowa Park, Texas and stories from his boyhood growing up along the creek in Palo Pinto County, Texas.

He signs his letters...."The Callisburg Kid"

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

LET'S BEGIN IN THE MIDDLE


Chuckwa Don Crabtree TDCJ# 01736141

Gina Gillispie
Editor High Plains Observer



On August 25, 2011, Chuckwa Don Crabtree was sentenced to 40 years in the Texas penitentiary for the murder of Michael Miller.  Gillispie posted the news story on her online paper and couldn't get the face of Crabtree out of her mind

Gillispie:  As I studied this face on the page of the news site, my heart felt so sad.  I could not help but see something in his eyes that told more than just the story of a convicted murderer.  Stories like Chuckwa's are very uncommon in our small communities and his story would just not let me rest.  On September 7, 2012, God tugged at my heart...and I followed that prompt and wrote Mr. Crabtree the first letter.

"My life is very good and abundant and even though I have made mistakes, I believe I am a good person and feel very blessed.  There is a story about Paul being in jail--chained and shackled, but was singing anyway.  I have often wondered if I would have that kind of faith and that is the one thing I wonder about you....
do you feel despair...how do you get through your days...
do you have faith?"

Crabtree:  I just received your letter about 20 minutes ago and haven't stopped smiling yet. I quickly called my mother as soon as I could and read your letter to her and she couldn't stop crying.  I want to thank you for taking an interest in me and let you know that I am not a bad person, and yes, there is a lot of sadness in my eyes.

And so began our friendship that plays itself out with pen and paper, on a steady basis, since 2012.


I hope you will enjoy reading the emotional words of a young man who will spend the best part of his life behind the bars he admits he put around himself.

It is my prayer that when God tugged at my heart that day, 
the reason was for others to be blessed
 and this bad thing will have a purpose.  
That the life of a man that was taken can somehow live on, 
and that the life of the man who took it, can feel redemption.

I am just the voice
for the Callisburg Kid

Psalm 130: 7
Put your hope in the Lord,for there is faithful love with the Lord
and with Him is redemption abundant


5 comments:

  1. i love you son love your mom jehovah allways be with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no better place to put our hope than in God. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your note Lux. So much truth in that for sure!

      Delete
  3. Amazing, Gina. One more connection in a way. My hubby gives chaplain services to the prison here. There are many "good men" that have been "bad boys". We have witnessed two true transformations first hand...lasting ones...and both due to finding God and putting him in their lives. Both now released and making new lives for themselves after cutting all old ties. God bless you as you follow this path. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana you have truly inspired me since I first found your blog . You are kind, generous and a good friend. You are always so uplifting and vivacious and I'm not one bit surprised you and your man minister in the prisons. Your story of conversion gives hope. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete