Bloom Where You Are Planted

This blog was created March 11, 2015. The contents of this blog contain correspondence between Chuckwa Don Crabtree and Gina Gillispie.

Although the two have never met, they became friends via mail when Gina, editor of an online news site, first reported Chuckwa's story.

When Gina saw his arrest photo, there was something that tugged at her to believe this person had a story to tell.

She mailed her first letter September 7, 2012 and they have been writing ever since.

After several years, Chuckwa decided he wanted to begin to tell his life story and send a message of hope to those who still have choices to make...his goal is to spend his time doing good things and good work right where he is....

Chuckwa has decided...to bloom where he is planted.

The posts that you will read will be a mix of old letters, stories about his everyday life in the James V. Allred Unit in Iowa Park, Texas and stories from his boyhood growing up along the creek in Palo Pinto County, Texas.

He signs his letters...."The Callisburg Kid"

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

BLUE TICK COON HOUND


I was born in Palo Pinto, Texas, to Jimmie and Diane Crabtree, living the 1st three years of my life in Perrin, Texas.

We moved from there to Callisburg...near the creek in Cooke County...3 miles north and east of Callisburg.

We lived out in the woods away from everyone.  There was a creek that ran for miles down in front of the house and it had lots of fishin' holes.

I done a lot of fishin' and huntin' all through out my life.  We had coon dogs from the time I was six 'till I was 18, so we done lots of coon huntin' as well.

We didn't have much money so I would sell the coon hides for $15-$20.

We had 3 horses, so between coon dogs, horses, huntin' and fishin', I stayed pretty busy.  I was hardly ever home.


I was pretty much raised by a Blue Tick Hound and an Appaloosa.  And I was raised hearing meaningful things, and have been hearing them most of my life.


As far as my plans go when I get out?  Well, I guess I'm gonna go back home where I was raised up and spend the rest of my days there on the farm and hopefully do a lot of fishin'--I'm pretty old school.









4 comments:

  1. Gina I am so fascinated by this story and will be back to visit again.

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    A New Gallery in Town!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karena thank you so much always for your kind visits and words. You are such a sweetie

      Delete
  2. Gina, I don't believe I have ever been moved so much by stories of another person. I truly hope our prison system will get straightened out in the near future. I believe if a person has to spend time being imprisoned, that our country should provide courses and training that will lead to a better life. Your daughter's words about shedding the past upon her son's birth brightened my life. I can see that the only person who burdens me with my past is me, myself and I. I am going to work on becoming a better person who no longer carries the hurts of childhood. Thank you, your daughter and Mr. Crabtree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello from here friend. Thank you so much for your sweet words. I will pass them along. My daughter used to write a blog and often she would bring me to tears. You are a wonderful person..let your burdens go.. shine your light

      Delete