Bloom Where You Are Planted

This blog was created March 11, 2015. The contents of this blog contain correspondence between Chuckwa Don Crabtree and Gina Gillispie.

Although the two have never met, they became friends via mail when Gina, editor of an online news site, first reported Chuckwa's story.

When Gina saw his arrest photo, there was something that tugged at her to believe this person had a story to tell.

She mailed her first letter September 7, 2012 and they have been writing ever since.

After several years, Chuckwa decided he wanted to begin to tell his life story and send a message of hope to those who still have choices to make...his goal is to spend his time doing good things and good work right where he is....

Chuckwa has decided...to bloom where he is planted.

The posts that you will read will be a mix of old letters, stories about his everyday life in the James V. Allred Unit in Iowa Park, Texas and stories from his boyhood growing up along the creek in Palo Pinto County, Texas.

He signs his letters...."The Callisburg Kid"

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

APRICOT BRANDY

In one of our first letters to each other all those days ago, there is one thing I have never forgotten--

Chuckwa told me that when he was a little boy, he almost died of alcohol poisoning.
My husband's Babboo, lost a 2 year old child when he drank some garage chemical that had been put in a strawberry soda pop bottle.

 Across the United States, around 800,000 kids are rushed to the emergency room each year because of accidental poisoning. Of these, around 30 children will die, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.


When I asked Miss Diane about this event in her son's life, this was her reply to me

"Good morning Gina--yes I remember.   I used to clean houses for ladies and one day, it was around Christmas, I was supposed to clean a house, but I had a horrible migraine.   I used to have them a lot but I don't anymore.   

The money I made cleaning houses I would give to Chuckwa and his brother Chris.  Most of it to ride their horses or bikes to the store in Callisburg to buy candy and soda pops.  We were poor but we were happy and God always saw to it that we had what we needed...the animals ate before we did.


Anyway I sent Chuckwa to clean the house.   He has always been a good cleaner like me...it's a blessing.   He found a fifth of apricot brandy and he drank the whole thing.  (Chuckwa told me in his letter that he drank it because it tasted to good to him).

We had to take him to the emergency room  because he was way over the limit, nearly a 3% BAC.  They kept him on the heart machine for a good while and maybe overnight.  He can't stand apricots now! 

That was when he was about 12 years old or so he hadn't started messing with alcohol before that and didn't again until he was a little older." 





Chuckwa could have and should have died that day
but he didn't
no
when God recorded that day in Chuckwa's life it wasn't his last day

do you believe that it's possible that some people are imprisoned
FOR PREACHING
and some people are imprisoned
TO PREACH
?

as I have grown to know Chuckwa over the past couple of years
--even though he has made some life altering mistakes--
I have grown to admire him and have a great respect for
what he is doing in the place God wrote in his life story....
while it was just the two of them...
in utter seclusion


You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous — how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment laid out before a single day had passed (Psalm 139:13-16 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment