Bloom Where You Are Planted

This blog was created March 11, 2015. The contents of this blog contain correspondence between Chuckwa Don Crabtree and Gina Gillispie.

Although the two have never met, they became friends via mail when Gina, editor of an online news site, first reported Chuckwa's story.

When Gina saw his arrest photo, there was something that tugged at her to believe this person had a story to tell.

She mailed her first letter September 7, 2012 and they have been writing ever since.

After several years, Chuckwa decided he wanted to begin to tell his life story and send a message of hope to those who still have choices to make...his goal is to spend his time doing good things and good work right where he is....

Chuckwa has decided...to bloom where he is planted.

The posts that you will read will be a mix of old letters, stories about his everyday life in the James V. Allred Unit in Iowa Park, Texas and stories from his boyhood growing up along the creek in Palo Pinto County, Texas.

He signs his letters...."The Callisburg Kid"

Monday, April 27, 2015

PERILOUS AND POWERFUL

DRUGS

I don't do drugs.  But I am no stranger to drugs and I would imagine you aren't either.

Chuckwa: drugs are cunning baffling powerful...they have caused me to ruin my life and they almost took my life more than once.  Due to them, I did take someone's life
 and I am where I am because of them.

I would like to tell you a true story about drugs.  Do you remember the statement made years ago by our SISD Elementary Principal where he said he knew at a very early age those that would have troubles in life?  I wish I would have discussed this further with him to know...
why?  what were the signs he was able to see that foretold?

When I  was a senior in high school, our football team, for the first time ever,
made it all the way to the state football playoffs.  We all knew it, but about half of the guys took drugs and the other half tolerated it....we were winning!  Even my parents were aware of the drug culture in our community because there were certain kids I was not allowed to hang out with.

Many years later, one of these friends of mine sat in my living room and told me 
one of the saddest things I have ever heard....

He said this:
"When I was in the 4th grade, I rode my banana seat bicycle to the First Christian Church where I scored my first drug deal.  Later, I began to drink, and use pot and speed heavily.  I would get high before school, leave for lunch to get high, get out of school before sports to get high, and go home to come down before bed.  By doing this I was able to keep my 'mixture just right' to stay wasted the entire day.

My parents knew it, my friends knew it, my coaches knew it...
and 
no.one.would.help.me."

these incredible words came from the star of the team...one of the good kids...
one of the privileged kids
I cannot shake the image of him on his bike...riding home with a baggie of pot
 in his little corduroy coat pocket

luckily and surprisingly, today,
he is a successful executive for a very successful company
he is healthy, wealthy and a great and talented husband and father

Chuckwa and many others, aren't the lucky ones

Chuckwa:  "I got arrested on Christmas Eve when I was 26 and went off on the cops and was charged for Assault on a Public Servant.  That landed me in prison for 4 years.

When I got out, I moved back home and lived in a tent and picked up cans for money before I finally found work.

Just when I finally got things half way going for myself again I was notified that Lipscomb County was gonna re-indict me on the DWI I was out on bail for.  I had just gotten back on my feet, had my kids in my life, had met another woman, had a good job...and then the rug got jerked out from under me."

***what seems like such a simple thing as a bail bond revocation will prove to be a life changing fork in the road for Chuckwa.... Below is the official arrest record for Chuckwa.

01/22/2000        DWI                        3 yrs       Sentence began    02/05/2002
12/24/2001        Retaliation               5 yrs       Sentence began    02/24/2002
12/24/2001        Retaliation               5 yrs       Sentence began    02/24/2002
12/24/2001        Aslt Pub Serv          7 yrs       Sentence began    02/24/2002
12/24/2001        Aslt Pub Serv          7 yrs       Sentence began    02/24/2002
10/27/2010        Murder                    40 yrs      Sentence began   10/27/2010


Do you believe that alcohol is a drug? Or that only illegal substances can be considered drugs?

As for how it affects the mind, it is best understood as a drug that reduces a person's ability to think rationally and distorts his or her judgment. 
Requiem For A Dream

 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33











No comments:

Post a Comment