Bloom Where You Are Planted

This blog was created March 11, 2015. The contents of this blog contain correspondence between Chuckwa Don Crabtree and Gina Gillispie.

Although the two have never met, they became friends via mail when Gina, editor of an online news site, first reported Chuckwa's story.

When Gina saw his arrest photo, there was something that tugged at her to believe this person had a story to tell.

She mailed her first letter September 7, 2012 and they have been writing ever since.

After several years, Chuckwa decided he wanted to begin to tell his life story and send a message of hope to those who still have choices to make...his goal is to spend his time doing good things and good work right where he is....

Chuckwa has decided...to bloom where he is planted.

The posts that you will read will be a mix of old letters, stories about his everyday life in the James V. Allred Unit in Iowa Park, Texas and stories from his boyhood growing up along the creek in Palo Pinto County, Texas.

He signs his letters...."The Callisburg Kid"

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

SHOES

I interrupt this storyline to interject a "today" thing....that I hope will bless you.

When Chuckwa and I first began our correspondence, he was in quite a state.

I know you probably think, he deserves what he is getting, and I will say that I don't disagree with that sentiment.  The public has a right to be protected from those who break the law.  He agrees with it too.

But still, imagine if you made a mistake that you would give anything to take back, and for the rest of your life you:

lived in a very small cell with zero privacy or freedom
had no fashion in your life at all
had no gourmet food or wine to enjoy ever again
had no internet, facebook, snapchat, or 182 tv channels

I could go on, but you get the point that life there is no picnic and while it is supposed to be no picnic, I do believe it takes some time to get used to the idea that this way of life is almost
F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

In the years that we have been writing, his demeanor has changed from a struggle to an acceptance and this excerpt is from a recent letter....that just made my day!

You oughta be proud of me for this, I'm not looking for a pat on the back or anything like that, but only to show you what kinda person I am.  There is this guy here that I know an he's black mind you, he recently lost his wife and his mother is not doing so well.  I have been seeing him and talking to him along the way and trying to lift his spirits.  He had on a pair of shoes that were falling apart and I had been noticing that.  The Lord put it on my heart to give him my shoes.  The shoes I had were a little over a year old but I had hardly worn them and today I seen him in the pill line.  I was talking to him and looking at his shoes.  I asked him what size shoes he wore and it just so happens that we had the same size feet.  I took off my shoes and give them to the guy.  He was so surprised that he didn't know what to do.  Those were $50 shoes!!!  I walked back to the section with his old shoes on.  He went to his with his new pair of shoes and a really big smile :-).  We both received a blessing out of the deal.  Just to see his face light up was priceless.

The story he told blessed me so much because for the first time I know 
that in this whole horrific ordeal of where Chuckwa is, how he got there, how long he's facing being there and enduring all the things I believe I could never endure

he was obedient to a nudge from God and by following that nudge..
he found a moment of peace and in that moment he gave a gift
to many...

how many people would wash the feet of a tired old man 
in a room where 
nobody knew 
and nobody saw

HEBREWS 1:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: 
for thereby some have entertained angels unawares




No comments:

Post a Comment